Tonight I got back from work gone eight pm and thought I want a good healthy meal but have stuff to get on with, like type up my blog… I know ! A baked risotto is always the answer because you can prep it, wack it in the oven and you have that time you’d spend cooking doing something else; be it washing up, writing that email or just watching The Great British Bake Off on TV!
Serves Four (or two for dinner and lunch tomorrow)
1 Large onion
1/2 Red pepper
1/2 Yellow pepper
260g risotto rice
2 Small chicken breasts
500ml Stock (fresh or from a cube)
1 Tsp Olive oil
2 Handfuls of freshly chopped herbs (I used Parsley and Tarragon)
1) Pre heat oven to 180 degrees (fan assisted).
2) Put on two rings on the hob, one high and one medium.
3) Put non-stock frying pan on high heat, when heated add chicken breasts (to brown on each side).
4) Put oven-proof dish on medium heat, add the olive oil. After a few minutes add the onion, leek and slightly later the garlic.
5) Allow to cook for a few minutes, until slightly browning. Turn chicken.
6) Add pepper.
7) Boil kettle for stock and rehydrate if making from a cube (I did), chop herbs and measure rice.
8) Add rice and cook for 30 seconds to one minute, then add stock. Stir. Add chopped herbs, stir. Then chicken breasts.
9) Put lid on and pop in the oven for 20 minutes.
10) Check after 15 minutes to ensure liquid has been absorbed by the rice, if not continue to cook for another 5 minutes.
11) Remove chicken from pan and shred, then add back into mixture and stir.
12) Serve for two and pop the other two portions in tupperware for lunch tomorrow!
You could diversify this recipe by substituting some of the stock for white wine, using different herbs or using salmon instead of chicken. You could also use just one pepper, however this was all I had in fridge and I like to use everything up if I can.
Delicious, easy and simple. I’ve even managed to finish typing before the timer for the oven has gone off!