Sadly the huge amount of baking and eating(!) I have done during the latter part of 2012 and the festive season, I find myself a little overweight and in desperate need for some real exercise!! So I have decided to take action and have been very inspired not only my Gizzi Erskine’s Cook Yourself Thin but also the fabulous Hairy Bikers’ Dave and Si, who recently made a programme in which they focused on modifying their diet and life style in order to reach a healthier weight. Finally it is in the mainstream!!! HOORAY! At last, some of TV’s best cooks finding new ways to make fabulous meals!! It is easy to make food taste good with lots of butter and cream, but trying to do some kitchen magic with fry lite, veg and as low-carb as possible, is infinitely more difficult! It has been a delight to watch their journey and very inspiring.
I officially weigh in tomorrow morning but I started on my Weight Watchers journey today which makes it very easy to track what you are eating and I am looking forward to some really good food this year and cooking lots of amazing new recipes! I am also very guilty of not doing enough exercise but absolutely LOVE Davina McCall’s workout DVDs which you can do whenever you like in the comfort of your own living room! So today I did my first workout since December; Super Sculpt! It is brilliant! I just need to make sure I keep it up at least three times a week!
Today I debuted two new recipes (1) Minty Pea Soup and (2) Pea and Parsley Risotto – both are absolutely delicious!
I must thank my good friend Hayley for this fabulous recipe!
Serves 4, ProPoints per serving = 3 points
1 Spray of Olive Oil
2 Cloves of Garlic, crushed
200g (c.2 whole) Leeks
500g Frozen Peas
750ml Vegetable or Chicken Stock (I used a stock cube)
10g Fresh or few sprinkles of dried Mint, chopped
1) Heat oil in a deep sauce pan and saute the garlic until golden
2) Add the leeks and celery, cook for 3-5 minutes, until softened but not coloured
3) Add Peas, stock and mint, simmer for another 20 minutes
4) Blend until smooth
5) This makes 4 small portions or 2 large ones
Serves 4, ProPoints per serving = 7 points
1 Spray of Olive Oil
240g Risotto rice
1 White onion
2 Cloves of garlic
200g Frozen peas
750ml Vegetable / Chicken stock
3 Tbsp fresh Parsley
1) Spray the olive oil into a frying pan and saute the onion and garlic until they gain a slight colour
2) Add the rice and cook for 1 minute
3) Add 2/3’s of the stock and cook until the rice is softened
4) Add the peas, half the parsley and the remaining stock
5) Cook until the rice and peas are cooked through (c. 10 minutes)
6) Serve with the rest of the parsley, season as desired
This recipe came from an old copy of a Weight Watchers magazine – but I have reduced the oil and removed the wine from the original recipe.