I love roasted Butternut Squash it is gorgeous, slightly sweet and very filling – the perfect accompaniment to fish, chicken, rice. Today I had a quick look through the cupboards to find beef burgers, cous cous and buttersquash; voila! Butternut Squash Cous cous was born and it was delicious!
Serves three or four people (depends how hungry/greedy they are!)
150g Cous cous, dried
350ml Chicken stock, from a cube (could be vegetable to keep it veggie friendly)
1/2 Lemon, zest and juice
2 Tsp Parsley, dried
2 Tsp Mint, dried
Roast Butternut Squash, as much as desired
1) Pre-heat your oven to 180 degrees (fan assisted), or 200 degrees (conventional)
2) De-seed, peel and chop your Butternut Squash into bite-sized chunks of about equal size and lay on a baking tray; season with salt and pepper, drizzle with a little oil and pop in the oven for 25-35 minutes
3) Make up the stock with the cube & boiling water
4) Put Cous cous in a bowl with the lemon zest, juice, herbs and stock. Cover with a lid or plate for 10 minutes
5) Remove plate and stir with a fork
6) When Butternut Squash is ready, spoon some into the cous cous and stir. Serve as you like.
The perfect side for a BBQ, if we get a bit more of that lovely sunshine back!