There are few foods I love as much as butternut squash (cold green beans may be?), all you need to do is roast it in the oven for 35 minutes with a drizzle of olive oil and lightly season with salt and pepper for an amazing snack, side or perhaps even the star of the show! This week my craving this spectacular vegetable led me to create this lovely salad.
Half a Butternut Squash
Half a bag of Green beans
Half a Red onion
Half a bag of salad leaves
Fresh basil leaves, torn
1) Pre heat oven to 160 degrees fan assisted / 180 degrees
2) Prepare the butternut squash, cut, peel and cube. Arrange on a large flat baking tray and season well with salt and pepper and a drizzle of olive oil. Bake for 35-45 minutes.
3) Blanche the green beans under tender, remove from the heat drain and cool under the cold tap. Slice the red onion thinly and set aside.
4) Put the salad leaves, basil, beans and onion into a bowl.
5) When butternut squash is baked, remove from the oven and cool before mixing with the other ingredients if eating later (however if you will eat immediately combine and enjoy a lovely hot and cold salad).
6) Mix all ingredients together when cooled and enjoy the flavour explosion that is this amazing salad!!
7) For salad dressing I go for either the Pizza Express light house dressing which always delights or a bit of olive oil and balsamic mixed together and drizzled liberally.
If you’re interested in Weight Watchers – you only need to point the olive oil you use for roasting the butternut squash, everything else is FREE / Zero pp, then add your salad dressing of choice. It is a delicious and very filling salad.