My lovely friend Laura is a huge coconut ice fan and as it was her birthday recently, it seemed like the perfect excuse to treat her to some delicious coconut ice! My favourite recipe comes from Annie Rigg‘s cookbook Gifts from the Kitchen which is a wonderfully inspiring book with some fantastic ideas and is very easy to get to grips with.
The beauty of this recipe is that it is irresistibly simple… and even advocates adding a tiny tipple of Malibu, which will of course improve almost anything.. but perhaps I am biased? I am a coconutter after all! I have dispensed with the usual pink food colouring (usually half the mixture is coloured pink), following feedback my friends preferred it entirely white.
1 Can of Condensed Milk
500g Icing sugar, sifted
400g Dessicated coconut
2 Tbsp Malibu (optional)
1) Grease a 20cm square tin with a flavourless oil and line with grease proof baking paper
2) Add all ingredients to a very large bowl
3) With scrupulously clean hands, combine the ingredients to a scrumptiously sticky mixture
4) Press the mixture into the impatiently waiting tin
5) Chill for at least 2 hours (if you are as tempted as me…) or preferably overnight, if you can wait that long
6) Turn out of the tin and cut as you please (I like delectable cubes) and consume at your leisure
WARNING: If you share this with your friends, you will be asked to make it again and again and again and….