I was looking for a lovely chocolate cake recipe to make for my birthday (my usual favourite is Nigella Lawson’s Sour cream chocolate cake with sour cream icing) and my friend found this recipe by the very talented Izy Hossack of Top with Cinnamon fame in a Sunday newspaper magazine and it was wonderful (look out for her cookbook which is out this autumn!)
This recipe massively appealed because it was extremely quick and easy to prepare (as I was making three cakes that evening for my Chocolate Festive birthday celebrations in the office) and seemed very like the brownie recipe I use which is guaranteed to impress myself and others alike in being a lovely recipe.
55g Cocoa powder
350g Granulated sugar
1 Tsp Vanilla extract
110g Plain flour
2 Tbsp icing sugar for dusting
1) Pre heat the oven 180 degrees
2) Grease and line an 18cm round tin
3) Melt the butter and chocolate (either on the hob or for 1 minute in the microwave and stir)
4) Combine all other ingredients in a large bowl and make a well at the centre
5) Ensure the chocolate and butter is slightly cooled, pour into the well and combine
6) Put the cake batter in the lined tin and bake for 25-30 minutes
7) You will know it is ready when it has a slight wobble (just like with brownies), take out and cool
8) Dust with icing sugar
9) This cake will improve if you can keep it for a day or two, but I certainly couldn’t!