Now I have to admit (like the majority of the Nigella loving public) to be a little disappointed by her new TV series Simply Nigella; though there were one or two gems and as I always turn to Nigella for puddings I thought I would give this one a whirl.
It did not disappoint!
200g Butter or Stork
250g Caster sugar
450g Plain flour
3/4 tsp Baking soda
3/4 tsp Baking powder
2 Lemons, zested and juiced
3 Tbsp of Thyme leaves
250ml Milk (Nigella used buttermilk, but normal milk works fine)
120g Icing sugar
Lemon juice (included in quantities above)
- Preheat over to 170 degrees fan assisted or 180 degrees conventional
- Butter and flour the bundt tin very well and tap to release any excess flour
- Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy
- Sift together dry ingredients
- Crack eggs into a jug and lightly whisk with milk
- Alternately add wet and dry ingredients to the creamed butter and sugar, beating gently (on a low mixer speed or with a wooden spoon) to combine
- Stir in the thyme leaves and pour into the tin, use a spatula to level the batter and bake for 1hr to 1hr15, keeping an eye on it from 1hr onwards
- Take out of the oven and leave to cool for 15 minutes, then turn out of the tin, tapping gently to release
- When completely cool, sieve the icing sugar into a small bowl and whisk in lemon juice until it reaches a thick but pourable consistency, when adding liquid to icing sugar less is always more so take it sloooooow.
- Dribble all over the cake and scatter with edible glitter
- Make a cuppa and enjoy !