So I am trying to eat better in 2016, so I’m reinventing some of my favourite recipes as healthily as I can. Last night I wanted something that felt like my regular Friday night takeaway but better on the waistline and I came across this recipe for Stir fried prawns with pepper and spinach on BBC Good Food and thought, ooh I can do something with that.
Friday nights are takeaway nights – most usually Chinese takeaway. My absolute favourite take away treat is King Prawn fried rice, so I decided to add rice and egg to the prawns, pepper and spinach.
Serves One, Calories 392
150g King Prawns, raw
1/3 Red pepper, sliced
75g Spinach, raw
2 Clove garlic, crushed
1 Tsp Sesame oil
1 Tsp Soy sauce
2 Tsp Fish sauce
60g Brown rice
1 Egg, beaten, fried and cut into pieces
- Boil rice until tender then rinse under cold water
- Heat a non-stick (omelette) pan, beat an egg and add to the pan on a medium heat
- Leave for a few minutes, when ready turn over with a silicone spatula
- Take out of the pan and leave to cool. When cooled cut into small pieces and set to one side.
- Heat sesame oil on a medium heat, briefly fry the garlic and pepper
- Stir frequently, add the prawns
- Add the soy and fish sauce and stir
- Add the rice and spinach, stir into the hot pan until spinach wilted
- Add egg